Search Potomac Sites
The largest city of Washington County, Hagerstown was founded by Jonathan Hager, a young German immigrant who traveled to the wilderness of Western Maryland in 1739. For his home, he chose a spot near a cool spring, and built a three-story stone house with a large central chimney. The walls of the house were 22 inches at the base, with a protected water supply. Hager grew prosperous as a trader, selling the house in 1745 to Jacob Rohrer, whose family kept the house for almost 200 years. Hager became involved in many activities as a farmer, cattleman, even a gunsmith. In 1773, he was elected to the General Assembly at Annapolis. In 1962, Hager House was opened to the public. It has now been almost completely restored.