Search Potomac Sites
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Site
This "distributing reservoir," was built on MacArthur Blvd. to aid in the settling of the Potomac River water. The water from the Potomac is often full of sediment, and needs settling time before it enters the filter plants. Prior to completion of the McMillan filtration plant, sedimentation in the Dalecarlia and Georgetown reservoirs was the only treatment of water before distribution to consumers. The gatehouse at the Georgetown Reservoir, built in 1900, resembles the "castle" emblem of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.