Search Potomac Sites
Arlington House Robert E. Lee Memorial
National Park Service Unit
The home of General Robert E. Lee's family for 30 years prior to the Civil War is restored and furnished in the period of the mid-1800s. Known as Arlington House, the mansion is also known as the Robert E. Lee Memorial. Early in his life, Lee was a frequent visitor to the house. The original owner was George Washington Parke Custis, the step-grandson of George Washington. In 1831, Lee married Mary Custis, the only surviving child of the Custis family. Lee lived here for 30 years while in the U.S. Army. In 1861, he left the Army to help defend Virginia. During the Civil War, Union troops occupied the house. In 1864, Arlington National Cemetery was created on part of the estate. The house is being restored to its condition in the 1830s.