Search Potomac Sites
County seat of St. Mary's County, this small community has been overshadowed by the development of the naval base and related facilities at the nearby Patuxent River Naval Air Test Center. Leonardtown has an 18th-century Tudor Hall housing the St. Mary's County Memorial Library and the Old Jail Museum, built in 1858. The town, founded in 1652, was named for Benedict Leonard Calvert, the 4th Lord Baltimore and sponsor of the first settlement expedition. Potomac Arch Park is located near the shores of the Breton Bay south of town. Leonardtown is located on Md. 234 one mile north of the intersection with Md. 4. Tudor Hall is a site on the Southern Maryland Religious Freedom Byway, a route of historic sites dealing with the establishment of religious freedom in the U.S.