Search Potomac Sites
B&O Railroad Bloomington Viaduct
North Branch Potomac River Railroad Bridge
The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, one of the earliest railroads in America, arrived in Garrett County in 1842. This three-arch stone viaduct was built as part of the original main line from Cumberland to Grafton, West Virginia. It featured a 17-mile grade beginning at Piedmont, W.Va. The structure is still in use, and is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. When first constructed in 1851, it carried two tracks. In 1916, two more tracks were added and the bridge was widened with a concrete addition on the south (upstream) side. Today, only two tracks are in use. A nearby boat ramp just upstream of the bridge provides access to the North Branch and a takeout point for river trips from Kitzmiller.
Nearby Potomac River Crossings
To view all Potomac River crossings, select this link.