Potomac River Guide Home

Interactive Maps

The Lower Potomac

The Potomac Estuary

Mount Vernon to Reagan Airport

Mall Area

Georgetown to Great Falls

Potomac Piedmont

Upper Potomac

The North Branch

Boat Ramps

Monitoring Sites

Bridges and Ferries

Cruises and Charters

Search Potomac Sites

Conduit Road Schoolhouse

Historic Site

This one-room schoolhouse at 4954 MacArthur Boulevard has been renovated and turned into a children's museum. Originally built in 1864 and rebuilt in 1874, the Conduit Road Schoolhouse is a one-story one-room clapboard building with a brick foundation. It is a simple rectangular structure, with a recent small addition on the southeast corner of the back. It was designed by a District of Columbia government architect and reflects bare mid-Victorian style typical of government schoolhouses in the late 1800s.

The school closed in 1928, and the building was converted into a library. In 1965, the new Palisades branch of the public library was opened, and the destruction of the Conduit Road Schoolhouse became imminent. However, the Palisades Citizens Association urged preservation of the building and its use as a children's museum.

Suggested Links

Click here for larger map and nearby sites.

Contact Information
DC Government
4954 MacArthur Blvd.
Washington DC 20016

Website