Potomac River Guide Home

Interactive Maps

The Lower Potomac

The Potomac Estuary

Mount Vernon to Reagan Airport

Mall Area

Georgetown to Great Falls

Potomac Piedmont

Upper Potomac

The North Branch

Boat Ramps

Monitoring Sites

Bridges and Ferries

Cruises and Charters

Search Potomac Sites

Old Stone House

National Park Service Site

Washington's oldest house and an excellent example of stone architecture, the Old Stone House in Georgetown is more than 230 years old. It was built in 1765 by Christopher Layman, a cabinet maker. The building served as a shop and residence for most of its existence. The ground floor has been used by a cabinet maker, a watchmaker, a printer, a cobbler, a tailor, a gunsmith, a painter, and a glazer. It was purchased by the National Park Service and opened to the public in 1960. The large garden with many perennial flowers common during the 18th century, is a popular meeting spot at lunchtime for Georgetown residents and visitors.

Click here for larger map and nearby sites.

Contact Information
National Park Service
3051 M St. N.W.
Washington DC 20007
202-426-6851
Website