Search Potomac Sites
A 13-foot tall granite statue on the southwest D.C. waterfront honors the men who sacrificed their lives for women and children in the sinking of the Titanic on April 14, 1912. The scupture was created from a single piece of red granite from Rhode Island. The sculpture was designed in 1914 by Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, a prominent socialite, after a national fundraising effort by surviving widows from the disaster. The sculpture was originally located in Rock Creek Park at the Potomac River, but was moved in 1968 for the construction of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. The stance of the sculpture was recreated by actors Leonardo diCaprio and Kate Winslett in the hit film "Titanic" in 1998 on the bow of the ill-fated ship.