Search Potomac Sites
This restored lockhouse is available for rent from the C&O Canal Trust. Lockhouse 22 at Pennyfield reflects the early phase of canal construction, because of its lift lock and proximity to Dam 2 and its guard lock.
Pennyfield is exemplar of the basic types of structures (aqueducts, locks, and lock houses) built along the C&O Canal. The furnishings in Lockhouse 22 are evocative of the mid-1830s to early 1840s period.
The C&O Canal Trust operates five other lockhouses that are available for rent. Each is decorated in a different sytle from the canal era. They inclulde:
- Lockhouse 6 near Brookmont, Md.
- Lockhouse 10 near Cabin John, Md.
- Lockhouse 25 at Edwards Ferry, Md.
- Lockhouse 28 at Lander, Md.
- Lockhouse 49 Four Locks near Clear Spring, Md.
The lockhouses are a few of the more than 1,300 historic structures in the C&O Canal National Historial Park.