Search Potomac Sites
Lower Cedar Point Light
This automated light, below the U.S. 301 Bridge and across from Cedar Point, was the site of the Lower Cedar Point Light, built in 1867. The "screwpile" style of lighthouse included a small cottage. In 1893, a fire burned the cottage. A replacement was put in place in 1896 and was used until l1951, when it was replaced by an automated light to guide mariners around a major turn in the Potomac. The old light tower is visible from Cedar Beach on the Maryland side and from the U.S, 301 bridge over the river.